Sunday, December 28, 2014

Home for the Holidays

Different.... That is how I would explain my trip home, all in one word. I know this sounds very cliche but everything is exactly the same, but I see everything differently. Let me start from the beginning. December was a crazy month in Yap. The typhoon came in the beginning of the month, followed by the local dance performance followed by countless hours working with the youth group on their Christmas program. I was always busy, and never home. This was good because it didn't give me a lot of time to think about coming home. I knew that it was slowly approaching. It is really hard to explain my feelings on this topic. Of course I was beyond excited to go home, see my family whom I have miss so much words can't even explain it. I was excited to sleep in my big comfortable bed. I was excited to wear pants and not sweat. I was excited for SNOW(which normally I hate). With all this excitement came nerves. I was nervous that it would be extremely difficult to go back to Yap after being home. I was sad that I spent all this time helping my students prepair for the Christmas program, yet I would not be able to see them sing. Finally, I was anxious about how different things would be at home. I have traveled quite a bit, but this is the longest I have been away from home my whole life. Seven months, I mean, a lot could change in seven months, that is almost long enough for a child to be born. So, I had all this anxiety and all these nerves with no idea what to expect. I mean, people try to prepair you for reverse culture shock, but no matter how many people tell you, you just have to feel it for yourself. I thought I was prepaired.
    Affer a last minute flight change, I began my journey back home for the holidays on December 21st, 2014. I flew from Yap to Guam, Guam to Tokyo, Tokyo to Denver. Thanks to a little help from a glass of wine I was able to sleep the whole flight from Tokyo to Denver. After going through customs I finally walked through the glass doors to the greeting area. Here I instantly found my parents and sister. They were still looking for me in the crowed. I could tell they were tired. They had waited over 2 hours for me   (we can thank customs for that, or the wonderfull airline I flew on, take your pick) This is the type of moment you see in movies. You never really appreciate this moment until you live it. My mom was the first to see me, she screamed! She then came running toward me, arms wide, followed by my sister, and then my dad (who was video taping this whole incounter). This moment was exactly how I had pictured it to be. We then told stories and smiled and hugged all the way to the car. We continued talking all the way to Chilli's, where I finally ate chips and salsa and a salad (two things I missed desperatly). I was not prepaired for the effects this rich food would have on my stomach. Let's just say that my stomach hasn't been the same since being home. All food here is too rich for me. We spent the night talking and showing pictures. I explained the culture of Yap, talked about my wonderful students and went to bed early. The next day, jet legged, I woke up at 4am with no ability to go back to bed. Since I was awake, I decided to have my first cup of REAL coffee, not instant coffee. This was amazing! After the first day, I started to notice how things had changed. Correction, things at home were exactly the same, exaclty! I had changed. Physically a little bit (10lbs heavier to be exact) but mentally a lot! I am not used to wearing make-up or doing my hair. I always felt beautiful like this in Yap. At home, I found myself doing my hair and makeup for days I spent in the house. Why did I feel the need to conform to society. I still don't know the answer to this. I also noticed a change when I went to the gym for the first time. I can not believe what some girls wear to the gym! You are there to workout not find a boyfriend. Then I began to notice the little things in life that are senseless that people care so much about. Yes, having a new car is nice, and having the new I phone is cool. And yes, getting dressed up and going out with friends is still fun! But, after going through everything that I have been in the past seven months... I am different. I think listening to my students sing is nice. I think decorating the local church for Christmas is cool, and I think putting on my long loose skirt with no make up and hair in a bun and teaching my students is fun. Now, don't worry.. I still love being home, but now I am not worried about wanting to go back. I alone am the only person that knows the hardships I have faced while on this journey, but I also know now that I will come out of this whole experience with strength to do anything I want. Even though, I am not worried about my return to Yap, I do desperately wish I could take my mom, dad, and sister with me.  Well, I am going to enjoy the rest of my vacation at home, I will write again once I return to Yap! 'Till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment