Sunday, June 22, 2014

Water safety day/the weekend

Today we had water saftey day, which was awesome. We finally got to get in the water. It was kind of a sick joke the Peace Corps played on us, sending us to an island surrounded by beautifully blue water and telling us we can't get in the water until water saftey day. But after 2 long weeks we finally had water saftey day. They day was very fun, but also very interesting. We learned about currents and tides and the importance of not panicing. Plus we got to go into town, which meant I could buy m&ms!! This always highlights my week. Of course one bag is $2.40, but so worth it! I am eating my last m&m as I type this, and let me say this, if I had another bag, I would eat the whole things again, with no regrets! I loved being in the water today. It brought me happiness. I got a tinny sun burned, nothing to worry about, but enough for my host family to mention. They think it is so funny when us White people sun burn. I miss all my friends back home! I know we can't talk daily, but I want you all to know I miss you like crazy and would love to get some e-mails/snail mail.
To touch base a little on my post yesterday, I am going to Yap Proper in August. That will be my site for the next two years. Yap is a state in Micronesia, Yap Proper just means I will be on the main island and not the outter islands. The name of my town is Gagil. I am not sure how big the town is yet, or how big the school is that I will be teaching at. I don't know what exact age group I will be teaching, but I know the school is grades 1-8. Yap is the furthest island in Micronesia from the United States. It is also the most traditional. On the outter islands of Yap the women are topless and the men wear loin clothes. From what I understand, on the main island tops for women are optional. I have heard that the cell service and internet is pretty good on the main island, so I should be able to keep up my blog. Okay, I am off to bed, 10pm on a Friday night and I am stoked about falling asleep, I guess the sun took a lot out of me today! Good Night! 
They say that the hardest part about being in the Peace Corps is the weekends. Well they, whoever they may be, are right. The weeks go by fast, but the weeks are so long. This is mostly because here on the islands, they believe in island time. This means that most of the day on Saturday and Sunday are spent relaxing and laying around. I can't stand this. I always like to be on the go, and when I do have free time, I like to binge watch Sex in the City or Dexter. Neither which I can do here. So I find myself reading and thinking a lot on the weekends. The thinking is the part that makes this time so hard. Thinking about what life will be at in Yap, or when my vacations will be, or what the hell I am going to do with my life after the Peace Corps. Or, the hardest thing to think about is what my friends and family are doing back home. My sister is probably going to the pool, then Chipotle, both sound amazing. My mom and dad are working, but spending thier evenings together, watching t.v. or having a fire pit. Me, I am watching people sleep, unable to sleep myslef because I am thinking just too much. Yesterday, Saturday, I spent all morning reading, I finished half my book. I took a nap, gave my family a call, ate chicken and rice for all three of my meals, yet still went to be hungry. Today was a little better, I read some more, then went to the waterfall to swim. Of cource, they told me to get ready, I got ready in 5 min., and we left 30 min later. Island time is real! I am learning to be patient, but it is hard. I spent the afternoon swimming at the waterfall with the fish. I saw a volunteer there and we talked almost the whole time, sometimes talking to another American makes everything seem a little better. Someone else is going through the same things as me, and suddenly I don't feel so alone. I have been able to run everyday and  enjoy my workout time, it's me time that no one can take away. Plus, it helps with all the rice I am eating. Back to training tomorrow, I am excited, it feels good to be back in a classroom setting. 'Till next time,
Jenny 

No comments:

Post a Comment